Mellykat's Blog!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Camping With My Two Boys

Well, I'm back from camping with the boys. We took a drive just north of Ignace yesterday to meet up with my friend Kelly who camps at Sandbar Lake Provincial Park for the summer. Of course as soon as you say my name and camping in the same sentence, the thunder clouds start forming. There was a full-blown severe thunderstorm watch for the Dryden and Ignace areas but we went anyway!

But before we left yesterday we had a private little memorial for my Grandma who passed away in February. We had her funeral after her passing, but we went to put her ashes in the columbarium at the cemetery. My dad said a few words and read one of Grandma's favourite poems from the poetry book she left for him. It was already raining, and my boys were sleeping in the Jeep. There was my Mom & Dad, me, Uncle Cliff & Auntie Lurdes, Cindy's mother-in-law Dora, Auntie Josie, and my Dad's cousin Bill Hampe. It was nice to see Grandma has a final resting place, even though I know that's not really 'her' in there...look up!

So after that I did a bit of running around and last-minute packing and we were off. Traffic was almost nil and the rain held off for the most part on the way there. I only had to stop in Ignace for a few minutes to top off Cooper, then it was only about another fifteen minutes to the camp. By then it was pouring pretty good and we cooked hotdogs inside the camper and watched movies. It was way too wet for a campfire. We got up this morning and it was still a little wet but not raining. We took the dog and the boys for a walk in the double stroller around the park. We didn't even bother going down the beach...so sad! (too cold!)

Back at the campsite Carter really got his bearings and he started exploring. First it was the trail to the outhouse. He would run back and forth and slam the door on the outhouse repeatedly. It was easy to see him and since he doesn't like to use the toilet I wasn't too worried. I was still paranoid of him falling down the hole (OMG just imagine) but there are steel bars across the hole inside the potty so that made me feel an eency bit better. That and putting little wooden wedges to keep him from opening the doors because my paranoia got the better of me once he started going inside the stall and locking the door! Then it was game over for outhouse playing.

Fortunately we had a campfire by this time and had put some peanuts out on the squirrel feeder and Patches (Kelly's dog) was occupied by keeping an eye out for the squirrels so Carter was too. Carter went in and out of the bushes like a pro, not afraid of anything. And all in sight of the campsite so it was good for me! It was pretty quiet around the park too so there was very minimal traffic around so it was perfect for Carter to explore his surroundings! I can't wait until we all go camping together (Chris too!) Next weekend we might join the family out at Gordon Lake. Cooper slept in the stroller for over an hour with the mosquito net over him.

We enjoyed a few sunny breaks between the passing clouds and barbecued some hotdogs while Carter had a much-needed nap. (Of course he didn't nap until Cooper was wide awake!) After Carter's nap we packed up the Jeep and headed for home. As soon as we drove out of Ignace I could see sunny skies ahead, of course as soon as I was out of range of the camping zone. We came home and Carter played outside with Daddy for a while and Cooper and I came in the house. Now I'm SOOOOOOOOO tired but the kids are still going strong!!! I'm not sure if I'll be up working on the computer tonight...maybe after a little nap!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, sounds like a very fun time. . .I thought of you during the interment time. I know your Grandma was special.

Miss chatting with you. . .e-mail me, please!!!???

Angie

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 12:51:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming to camp all ye Govers! Rain or Shine, we have a good time! Hey I think I just made up my Camp Motto! Gosh Im clever. The Blog looks great, you Go my computer geek!!!!

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 10:02:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home