Mellykat's Blog!

Saturday, July 01, 2006

104 Years Younger Than Canada!

Ah yes, I wake to the all-too-familiar sounds and sights of pouring rain...today it means three things. One: It's Canada Day. Two: It's my birthday. Three: We're going to an outdoor wedding today.

Yesterday afternoon I got an IM from my friend Kelly...she said "you've got mail". I checked my hotmail and my home email and nothing. So I msgd her back and said "not yet". She said "yes you do"...I said, "snail mail, or email?" With that, I went outside to look in my mailbox. Inside the mailbox there was an extra-large french vanilla cappucino from Tim Horton's, which was acting as a feed for my addiction, as well as an anchor for two red, two white and one hyuge butterfly balloon! That was the best "drive-by" ever. We often take turns driving to each other's houses with something from Tim Horton's or goofy presents, ring the doorbell and run like hell. That was a great surprise! I also got a beautiful card and gift from our cousin Janet and a gift certificate for a facial (awesome!) from my friend Kathy.

After supper last night, the four of us went out to Gordon Lake to visit the family campers...my parents, two aunts and uncles, and my sister and her new family. We arrived close to 8:30. Carter had a blast playing around, especially climbing on a huge rock. There was a nice campfire, but no Cindy! (Beth, if you're reading this, I'm sure you and Tony know where Gordon Lake is!)

Dominic had a bizarre case of hives, likely from playing with grody stuff in the water (this lake is a crystal clear one but they were apparently overturning rocks and stirring up stuff from under them...) The other kids started to feel itchy too I guess, so they all packed it in and went home before we got there. Bummer! So we sat around the campfire swatting gargantuan mosquitoes (I think they've been breeding with daddy long-legs).

Then because I was in campingland, it started to rain. We packed up our stuff and drove home. It was a good, however short visit. We drove home through intermittent rain and as soon as we pulled in the garage we could see why there was a severe thunderstorm watch! It poured pretty good! I watched the storm for a while after I had shut off the computer. There was one lightning that must have been pretty darn close because all the electronic and electric stuff kind of went poof for a second and there was one big bang right after it. That was when I finally shut off the computer. Cooper woke up so I nursed him and watched the storm some more then went to bed.

Today...since Mom & Dad are out camping still, we won't be going to the annual Canada Day pancake breakfast. It's become quite a tradition for us all to go, but we'll skip it today. It's still so yucky and rainy out that I'm wondering if they'll postpone the fireworks. We'll see. Chris has the whole weekend off and doesn't go back to work until Tuesday so despite the weather we're going to have some fun! I just got a cool birthday card from Carter & Cooper and one from Chris.

Okay so I just checked the Weather Network for Dryden and we're not supposed to have any rain between this afternoon and tomorrow. Yay!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes according to Tony there was a grade 8 canoe trip from Gordon Lake to Blue Lake stopping off at Canyon Lake to jump off a big cliff. Evidently there was a photo op for the local journalists and it was a hot story that week (and/or decade)in NWO.
Hey HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU AND CANADA!!!!!

Saturday, July 01, 2006 2:23:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I was close enough for a "drive by" but, alas, the coffee would have not only gotten cold, it would have gotten moldy.

Hope the birthday video did the trick!

Love & hugs!!!

Sunday, July 02, 2006 1:48:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home