Mellykat's Blog!

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Won't You Take Me to...ShantyTown!

After work I picked up the boys and ran home to change. I took the boys to Mom and Dad's and Chris followed after he went home for a shower after work. We had an awesome roast beef dinner with mashed potatoes and gravy, French-style green beans, salad and fresh buns. The boys nibbled a little; they were still feverish off and on all day. The sitter gave Carter (Hotty Hottinhead) some more Tylenol near the end of the day.

On my way to Mom and Dad's I talked to Kelly and she was game to join us for Bingo. She was just on her way back from a work trip. Chris drove us to the highway and Kelly picked us up and took us to Bingo. As always we had fun, but Mom won a Bingo, which was a bonus. However, being the gracious person she is, she had to share it with three other winners. She paid her way there with it, nonetheless.

Kelly dropped us off at the corner again and Dad picked us up. Chris had taken the boys home a couple hours earlier, and since he needed the car seats in the Jeep, he left me his truck. Which I have never even sat in before, not even as a passenger. I ran in for a potty break then went out to the truck. Dad had started it for me and I jumped in and left. I have no problem driving a standard vehicle, though it is very rare. I learned on standard. But with that and being in a vehicle I'd never driven before, I was a bit apprehensive.

I managed to find the headlights and had absolutely no trouble shifting the gears with the 8-Ball gear shifter. I drove across the lake and up the ramp on the other side, not stalling or faltering even once. Kelly was waiting for me on the other side to make sure I made it. (Thanks Kelly!) I was pumped to have green lights all the way, and pulled in the driveway feeling like I accomplished something. Silly me. Kinda like riding a bike, I guess.

I came in and all three boys were asleep in the living room. Carter is hotter than an oven and Cooper just woke up but I put him in his bed. If these fevers don't settle by tomorrow we're headed for the doctor for some tests.

Well, that's about it for me today, but not until I share a picture of all the ice shacks on the ice road. Yes, I actually took a picture today AND I'm posting it! I gotta wash my hair in the morning so that means I have to get up a bit earlier. I'm outta here!

Shantytown!

For my southern friends, this is a picture of the lake. You can see the main road where the cars drive, along with all the snowmobile trails, and plenty of ice shacks making it look like a little shantytown or perhaps a scene from 'Grumpy Old Men'. There are at least four feet of ice to drive on. Mom and Dad's place isn't far from the other side of the ice road.

3 Comments:

Blogger 20Birds said...

and i have been there, Melany took me there!!!! i am a southern friend arent I, both geographically and culturally??? my funny story, in university, there was a young man i was crushin' on... and there was a group trip, I was assigned his truck to ride in (okay you caught me, i engineered that) anyway he calls ans says, you know how to drive a stick shift?, and I say yes...(okay you caught me, I didnt) but I was not giving up that ride... so i got a friend to teach me, over the phone... and on the trip to NY... I made sure I took my turns driving while already on the interstate... no ramps, and I always ended my shift on the interstate... no clutch needed...

Thursday, February 28, 2008 6:37:00 a.m.  
Blogger Angie said...

Then there was the time that my mom decided to teach me to drive stick shift -- on a ROAD. We ended up at an intersection -- at a traffic light -- on a slight hill. With a HUGE dump truck behind us.

yeah, I wound up in tears, and JERKING myself through the intersection.

. . .next time, my dad took me driving.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 8:34:00 a.m.  
Blogger Helen said...

woohoo! Unbelievable! Have a great weekend up and over!

Friday, February 29, 2008 1:43:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home