Mellykat's Blog!

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Fantastic Family Day! (and Weekend!)

I waited too long to do this; now I have some thinking and remembering to do! Chris worked until noon on Saturday. Saturday was gloriously beauteous! Horton Hears a Who was playing for the matinée at the theatre so I'd planned to at least take Carter, and if Chris was up for it, we'd all go. I'd also hoped for a little family excursion to Wal-Mart for some much-needed grocery shopping. But Cooper fell asleep at a bit of an inopportune time, so I asked Chris if he'd take Carter for a haircut. It took a few tries but he finally found a place that would take a walk-in without an appointment.

It turned out great and I ended up waking Cooper so we could all go to the movie. Everything was perfect. Kids were staying in their seats, popcorn was being eaten nicely. Cotton candy was being consumed in large quantity (by me). I had to get a second bag so that I didn't have to share too much. I got the kids little grab-bags of candy to try to help keep them in their seats.

The movie was cute, and all was wonderful. Until...Cooper...got bored. We had a contingency plan in place for this and Chris took him out. I thought he'd just take him for a little walk around and come back to the seats but they went out to the Jeep and waited for Carter and me to come out. Carter liked the movie; he already wants to see it again. It was cute. I was asking my coworkers if they had the book so we could read it before the movie; Erna was kind enough to check her Dr. Seuss stash and when she found she didn't have it, she borrowed it from the library for us. How sweet was that? We read it a couple times so we had a good grasp of the storyline. It was very well-done. I'm sure we'll watch it 2978459238475 more times once it comes out on DVD.

After the movie, we ventured to Wal-Mart. Really, we needed a ton of stuff and spent a mint there. Three hundred bucks later we still had to go to M&M Meat Shop for a couple more things. Oh and since Wal-Mart doesn't have a fresh meat department, I still needed to make a trip to a regular grocery store. Anyhoo, we came home from all that shopping and Carter was zonked out. We took him in the house and Chris played outside with Cooper for awhile, until he called me to watch something. Cooper was playing with the new tee-ball set Chris had picked up at Wal-Mart. It was soooooooooo cyuuuuuuuute. That's where the picture came from for the baseball card below. I also caught some of it on video, but it's a hyuuuge video since I forgot to put in on the compact setting, so I doubt I'll post it. But it was funny that every time Cooper went to retrieve the ball after he hit it off the tee, he said he was playing soccer. Then we'd say, "Cooper, it's baseball." And he'd say, "Yeah, baseball."

Chris barbecued the bacon-wrapped chicken breasts we got at M&M and I realized we had no potatoes, so I opted for rice and some peaches'n'cream corn. The boys ate a little, then we mentioned going out for ice cream and supper was pretty much done. We headed out to Dairy Queen (following a dose of Lacteeze pills for Cooper) and the boys had baby cones. Chris was stuffed from supper but managed a medium cone, and I opted for a hot fudge sundae with Reese Peanut Butter Cups on it. OMGTHATWASSOGOOD. Better than a blizzard for some reason. I must remember to order that every time!

We came home and started to watch the movie, August Rush. Cindy had lent it to us since it wasn't due for one more day, and we all seem to enjoy sharing movies to get the most value out of renting them. For me though, there is a tiny bit of satisfaction knowing it would probably also really piss off the movie nazi! Anyhoo, it was a nice movie and even Chris was a little moved at the ending.

Carter was up REALLY late since he had such a late afternoon nap. I was making these baseball/soccer cards pretty late and he was still up. I was tired and needed to go to bed so I talked him into watching a movie in his room before bed. He did actually fall asleep before I did.

Today wasn't as beautiful out as it was yesterday, but at least there was no precipitation. It was a sweater day as opposed to a t-shirt day. Which is still WONDERFUL. I'm loving not having to bundle the kids in a gazillion articles of clothing to go out of the house! Chris took Carter out for awhile just before lunchtime. I stayed home with Cooper and just lazed about for awhile. Eventually he took a nap and I was eager to pass out by that time. We had a long, yummy nap and I hadn't even heard Chris and Carter return.

I got myself ready later in the afternoon and took Cooper for a ride in the stroller to return Cindy's movie. While I was there I rented the movie Juno. We walked back home and I took him in the Jeep to get MORE groceries and things I hadn't thought of yesterday. We shouldn't need anything from the store for over a week now; except for potatoes because they escaped my mind again.

We came home and had an odd mishmash for supper. Everyone had something different. Leftovers, Chef Boy-ar-dee, chips and salsa dip, peanut butter sandwiches. I had picked up a few value-packs of chicken breasts and divvied them up into freezer bags, actually remembering to keep a few out of the freezer for tomorrow's supper.

Then it was time for Desperate Housewives to come on. The boys were, as usual, very rambunctious because it was time for the ONLY SHOW I CARE TO WATCH ON TV FOR THE WHOLE WEEK. Which is basically fine, since I recorded it with our DVD recorder. That thing rocks! I finally used it for the first time to record last week's episode. Love it! That, and I noticed they play a rerun of it later in the week that I've never come across before.

After the kids settled down, we started watching Juno. Chris eventually dozed off. I really enjoyed it. Many many laughs...clever, witty and sarcastic dialogue that hit my funny bone. Then tears. I never used to cry watching movies. My hormones have been cuckoo ever since I've become a Mom. Great ending. Makes me want to be a surrogate Mom more than ever. Yeah, I'm serious. Too bad my family and my husband think I'm crazy when I say that. Chris would never go for it. Anyway, I really liked the movie.

Now I can't believe it's after midnight. I'll leave you with these gorgeous pictures of the boys, adorned into baseball/soccer cards. (Carter starts soccer in a couple weeks so I don't have pictures of that yet...in the meantime I found a great use for the picture of him at McDonald's play place from our trip to Winnipeg!) I used Dani Mogstad's MVP kit from Sweet Shoppe Designs for both of them.

I printed a few of these and stuck magnets of the back...
so family, please let me know if you want one for your fridge! :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

Do I count as family? I'd love them for my fridge. . . but you know, if this would violate some US / Canadian Customs thing, I won't get you in trouble.

Great post, my friend!!!

Monday, April 21, 2008 7:40:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home