Mellykat's Blog!

Monday, January 05, 2009

Now THAT Was a Big Dump

...of snow. Actually two hyuuuge dumps of snow fell over the weekend. I didn't leave the house from the time I arrived home from work on Friday to the time I left for work this morning. Chris's ice fishing trip on Saturday wasn't very fruitful (or fishful for the purposes of the story) because of the blizzard conditions.

I did a little laundry over the weekend; enough to wash some pee-peed bedding courtesy of the boys and my forgetfulness to put a pull-up on them before bed. (Not to mention my not monitoring the fluid intake before bedtime.)

I'm working on one of my little 'health kicks' that I occasionally attempt. This time actually feels different, thanks to Angie's New Year's Decisions idea that I totally stole. I decided to stop drinking coffee, since I put so much cream and sugar in my coffee that it becomes more like a dessert that you nearly need a spoon to eat. Fast food is now out of the question, along with junky stuff and pop. Yeah, I really went cold turkey on all the crap I've been putting in my body. As a result, I had a caffeine deprivation headache all weekend. The headache could share the blame with PMS but I digress.

I started eating breakfast the other day. I had a yogurt and a boiled egg, in place of the usual nothing that I have for breakfast. I've had a yogurt a few days in a row for breakfast or a slice of toast. Wish me luck. I'm not one to stick with will power but so far this year I'm on a roll. Some of my coworkers brought in dainties and candy that they didn't want to keep at home and be tempted to eat, and so far I've completely avoided it where I would normally scarf it up.

Sunday evening we had a great dinner (supper). I cooked up some fresh whitefish fillets in lemon dill sauce, steamed baby potatoes and kernel corn. The kids wouldn't go near it for the most part, though Cooper ate a handful or two of corn.

Today was a good day at work. The office has been repopulated since nearly everyone has returned from Christmas vacation. At lunch I had an eyebrow wax appointment. I was going to grab a sub from Subway after I brought Chris the leftovers from supper last night, but I remembered that I left my bank card at home, along with Chris's. That was another thing I wanted to attempt along with eating a healthier diet, I wanted us to go on a spending diet.

I stopped at home to pick up said bank card so I could go put gas in the Jeep and made myself a peanut butter and honey sandwich. At some point during the lunch hour I recalled that it's the first day of school for the year, and remembered to take Carter to school.

The gas price in this town is at an all-time low. I don't remember the gas price being this low since at least ten years ago. It only cost me twenty bucks to fill the tank from half. 59.9 cents per litre. Just wow. The snowbanks have turned into blindspot-inducing monoliths all over the place, creating a little fear and doubt even after checking 872364578 extra times before backing out onto the street.

After work today Chris did some more snowblowing around our place, particularly because the grader finally cleared our street and made a lovely snowbank where Chris had cleaned the driveway just yesterday. His next stop was Kelly's place. She's been out of town since we got all this snow so she would barely if at all possible have been able to navigate her driveway when she got home. One of Chris's friends stopped by with his plow and back-bladed a path down her driveway a little earlier. Chris cleared the rest of the driveway so she could get into her garage. She was one happy camper!

While Chris was on snow patrol, I was making supper. Homemade chicken fingers, nuked potatoes, green beans and gravy. Cooper had his usual couple bites, and I conned him into a couple extra bites by feeding them to him under the kitchen table. Carter slept through supper and never ate a single bite. When Chris came in I left to take his Dad grocery shopping. First we went to Wal-Mart. I picked up milk, butter, shake'n'bake, juice boxes, yogurt, sauce mixes and maybe a couple other things. When we got to the till, Chris's Dad bought my stuff. That was sweet. Next we went to the grocery store to pick up some fresh fruit and vegetables. I was coveting all the Christmas stuff that's on sale cheap cheap cheap but I managed to just pick up some plastic wine glasses and left all the pretty decorations behind.

I dropped him off and came home to put away the groceries. Carter wanted me to play with him with his new Neo-Shifter toys from his Uncle Jason. They are these robot-type things with six bajillion pieces each, and thank God Jason helped Carter assemble them at Christmas and they are still assembled.

It was getting late so I suggested to the boys that we watch a movie in their room to wind them down and hopefully get them to sleep so I could go to bed too. I was pretty close to drifting off but Cooper kept curling up with me then taking off and climbing or jumping around. He also had to go for a potty break; the potty training is a done deal and I'm thinking I should have switched him over months ago. The pull-up at night is just a precaution to save me from extra laundry in case of an accidental bed wetting, and it's usually dry in the morning.

I remembered my blog and decided to go grab the laptop so I could gather my thoughts before too many days pass. I'll be trying to stay more up to date because it's way easier for me to keep track of our lives when I do it more often! I'll leave you with this gorgeous picture of the boys I took when we were visiting with Paula the other night. They were taking turns taking pictures of each other with my camera and I was a little nervous they'd break it so I quickly took it back from them and asked them both to pose for me. Here's what I got...(best picture of them together...EVER.)


Blogger Angie said...

this is a wonderful picture of them. And, I'm proud of you -- kinda feeling like I guilted you into dropping coffee...but I bet you'll feel better in the long run!

Love ya!!

Tuesday, January 06, 2009 3:03:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to Chris and his friend for saving Ben and I hours of shoveling after a long frozen drive home.
Next stop 'The Beer Store' to repay good deeds !!


Wednesday, January 07, 2009 8:37:00 a.m.  
Blogger Patchoulia said...


Wednesday, January 07, 2009 10:12:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home