Mellykat's Blog!

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas Concert

Today was Carter's Christmas concert. It was to start at one-thirty so I did the lunch hour coverage so that I could lunch later and flex some time to go to the concert and the gathering afterward. I arranged for Mom and Dad to take Carter to school.

Of course because I usually fly by the seat of my pants, I hadn't baked or brought anything with me to work to bring to the school for the snacks after the concert. I figured I would run to one of the grocery stores and pick up a tray of dainties or something.

Then when I was doing a Google search I caught a glimpse of a blog post on Amy's blog. She had found an awesome web site called chic cookies or something similar to that, and made the most adorable cookies. You use the white chocolate-dipped Oreo cookies and using an icing bag, draw on an orange carrot nose and black eyes and mouth. They are so adorable I decided right then and there that I wanted to bring them to the concert.

During coffee break I ran (yes, seriously ran, in my three-or-so-inch heels) to Safeway. 1) They did not have the cookies, and 2) They had no orange or black icing tubes. Feeling slightly defeated, I ran back to the office. I called Kelly to see what she was up to at lunchtime, hoping she'd have to go to Wal-Mart for some reason. She didn't need to go, but kindly went FOR ME to look for these items. Unfortunately she found none of them at either Wal-Mart OR I.G.A. and I made her late coming back from lunch. (Thank you so much again, Kelly!) She picked me up a couple icing tubes so I could make do if I could find those elusive cookies.

Once I ran out the door for lunch, I went to the one remaining grocery store, still not giving up on my quest. I finally conceded defeat when they didn't have the cookies either, and I purchased a tin of fancy chocolatey cookies to bring. I raced to the school and had to park 938745987 miles away because of all the other people going to the Christmas concert. I ran into the school and positioned myself in the gymnasium for the concert.

I found it odd that I couldn't see my parents since I had met them on the road along the way to the grocery store. After waiting a bit, I saw Mom come in the gym. I waved her over to sit with me and she told me the concert WAS NOT BEING HELD IN THE GYM. I'm not quite sure how I missed this detail. We trekked to the OPPOSITE end of the building to Carter's classroom, a very FULL classroom. I think they waited for ME before starting. Not only was the classroom FULL of people, probably about FIFTY adults watching the twenty-two children performing, but none of the multitudinous furniture was moved to make room for the hordes in attendance.

By this time I was quite frazzled from my running all over the place, and irked that it was in the classroom. I got a couple pictures and videos of the three or four little carols the kids sang. Then the teacher said that was the end of their musical stylings and that we could convene for the snacks. What? That's it? I mean, it was adorable but very awkwardly located and so very short! Parents had the option of taking the kids home or leaving them until dismissal time. I opted to take Carter back to the sitter and go to Tim Horton's with Mom and Dad. I had a sandwich, thankfully, since I was getting rather peckish by that time.
I still had a bit of time left and ran over to Wal-Mart to raise hell over the damn cookies. I'm pretty certain my OCD was in full force and I'm starting to think I need medication!!! It was crazy in there and I felt awful for sending Kelly into the throngs but I actually found the cookies right away. Not that I needed them anymore, but I bought the remaining four boxes on the shelf that was nowhere near the cookie aisle, and oddly found a tiny tube of orange gel icing on an end display. I grabbed it all and checked out at the jewelry counter and bolted outside. So completely obsessed with this ridiculous project, I made a snowman cookie right then and there in the Wal-Mart parking lot, feeling somewhat vindicated though way too late to be useful.

I went back to work and showed the girls what I had intended but failed to create in time for the concert. The afternoon flew by and it was time to leave and pick up the kids. I loaded up the Jeep with a few boxes for my last remaining trip for my computer project and went to pick up the boys. When Chris got home from work I went to the grocery store to pick up hot dogs for supper. I stayed up super late last night working on a Christmas gift for someone and was not prepared to make a real supper. Chris also needed work gloves so I slipped in a Wal-Mart run for gloves and soy milk. I also sneaked in a trip to the bulk food store and found the perfect orange and black icing tubes that I needed for my obsession-project.

I came home and decorated a couple dozen cookies. Santa Claus will be visiting our babysitter's house tomorrow and she's having a little party for all the kids she babysits. So there was a use for my cookies afterall and Carter helped me decorate them a bit. We had hotdogs for supper then I played with the kids for a bit before finishing up a calendar project. Shortly after printing was complete and I was fully satisfied with how it turned out, I developed something new to obsess over. This summer I bought a binding machine, with a hole punch that punches thirty-three perfectly round little holes and plastic combs that hold it all together. I remember using the thing at work but I could have sworn I brought it home. I tore the house apart three or four times then when I couldn't stand it anymore I went to the office to see if I could find it. I couldn't. I came home and dug around a little more, unable to ask Chris if he had any idea where it might be, since he was sound asleep on the couch.

So now I'm finally feeling relaxed enough that I might just get to sleep soon. I might even get five or six hours of sleep tonight, which I am eagerly looking forward to. But on my way to bed I'll be sure to have another look at those adorable cookies and probably rack my brain just once more to try to think of where the heck I put that hole punch. ::sigh::


Blogger Angie said...

OH. . those are SO cute. Guess what I'm making for Christmas Eve??!??!

Friday, December 19, 2008 9:08:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home