Mellykat's Blog!

Monday, September 21, 2009

Summer in September!

Wow. There went another week that got away from me! We've had such an amazing month of weather we've spent a lot of time outside.

Let's see. Looks like I last blogged on Tuesday night last week after that awesome waterfit class. Looks like I won't be able to go this week but I do plan to go again.

Wednesday morning I was so tired. I did a quick run to Starbucks. When I went in all the tills were down so they were giving out free coffee! I gave Kelly a 'Happy Chai-Day' and grabbed myself my current favourite caramel macchiato. I've been tempted to give up the commercially-brewed coffee beverages but it's been a slow process!

On Thursday, I made Greek pizza for supper. A coworker had brought in her leftovers the day before and it looked delicious so she gave me her recipe. I found some pre-baked pizza crusts at the grocery store. I brushed the crusts with olive oil and sprinkled them with Greek seasoning. I cubed and browned some chicken breasts in olive oil, sautéed mushrooms with onions, sautéed spinach with minced garlic (and might I say how FAST spinach disappears!) I kept putting handfuls of spinach in the pan and watching it reduce to nearly nothing. I arranged everything on two pizza crusts and topped them with crumbled feta and mozzarella cheese. I browned them a little in the oven and we dug in. Cooper ate a whole piece (minus the spinach and onions that he deemed as 'slime'). Carter wasn't quite as enthusiastic about eating it as Cooper was but he did eat about half a piece.

On Friday morning, I was having a morning where I was out of both sleep and extra time. When I walked in the building at work, Kelly was on her way in too and had a macchiato for me. Score! She was very high on my popularity list that day for sure! :) On Friday night I was invited to a kind of a 'girls' night'. Basically just a visit with a few girls at one of their houses. We all brought hors-d'oeuvres and munched on them along with having a few drinks. I walked home around one o'clock in the morning. A good time was had by all!

Saturday Chris worked until noon. I went to pick up my dishes and stuff from Carmelle's house and brought her and Serena much-needed Starbucks! I came home and Chris left to go four-wheeling with his work buddies. I didn't anticipate his coming home until pretty late. I planned to take the kids to Mom and Dad's house for a visit, but Cooper fell asleep. After his nap it was still so beautiful outside we went anyway. I ran a couple errands and packed up the kids' bikes and went to Mom and Dad's. The kids enjoyed riding their bikes on the long, hilly driveway. I brought extra clothing so they could play in the lake too. They splashed around for quite awhile before we took them in for a warm bath. I noticed Cooper had a little bloodsucker on his foot so I told him he had a 'sticky worm' on him and I took it off, not wanting him to be afraid. He wasn't. Then Carter piped up and asked if it was a bloodsucker. I said yes, it was! No fear. Good.

We stopped at Wal-Mart on the way home and I got yet another new printer. I really wear these things out! I also picked up a couple cheap movies while we were there, including ''Hoodwinked'' and ''The Devil Wears Prada''. Two movies we've never seen before, and each was only four bucks...cheaper than it would have been to rent them! We came home and started watching ''Hoodwinked''. I hadn't expected it to be good, but the kids and I all liked it. Chris surprised me and came home before ten. He was pretty tired from working and riding all day and went to bed immediately.

Sunday was a busy day. I successfully took both boys to church, which surprised both me and the priest! I hadn't gone for many weeks but have gone two weeks in a row now and want to keep it up again. After church we went out for breakfast. The boys were good in church and out at breakfast. It was a gorgeous day again and after breakfast we picked up Chris to go get his truck at his friend's house.

I took the boys home and Chris went visiting before he came home. He came home just in time for me to leave to go to the AIDS Walk for Life. I picked up Kelly and we went. It was a fantastic day for a walk and about seventeen hundred dollars was raised for the small local committee to raise awareness in our area. I raised a hundred fifty-five dollars, mostly online. It's much easier to ask for money hiding behind a computer screen than asking in person! After the walk there was a little luncheon and some draw prizes.

I dropped off Kelly and she offered to come to the park with the boys and me if they were game. They were. We drove over to Kelly's and walked to the park. (Cooper rode his bike.) We had both boys riding their bikes with no training wheels, but I think Cooper had a few wipeouts so Chris put his back on. Carter has adjusted very well; we should have taken his off ages ago. Though I did copy my Dad's idea from when I was little...we took off one at a time so it was nearly a seamless transition. After supper we watched The Devil Wears Prada while the kids watched Hoodwinked again. I stayed up pretty late working on a print project. Around one o'clock this morning I realized I likely had nothing to wear to work today. I threw in a load of laundry and finished up a couple details on the birthday invitations I made then went to bed.

I got up this morning and absolutely had to wash my hair. I haven't had to do a thing with it since Wednesday. I washed and ironed my hair while drying clothes in the dryer. Chris packed the boys' lunch and snacks and went to work. I got them fed and dressed. What seems like it's going to be a new breakfast trend around here is coloured sugar. I couldn't find my container of sugar so I used the coloured stuff I have for making cookies. Carter had it in his oatmeal with cinnamon, and Cooper had it on his cinnamon toast. Weird, but it got them to eat their breakfast!

Today was a busy Monday as usual. I brought lunch to Chris and we had lunch together before I went back to work. After work I picked up the boys and came home. I left them playing outside with Chris while I ran to the grocery store to get something for supper. I found some cheap steaks and picked up potatoes and corn and sliced mushrooms. I came home and prepared everything while Chris barbecued the steaks. We had a great supper and can always count on the boys eating well whenever we have steak.

After supper we hung out and the boys had a quiet evening and went to sleep fairly early. We watched a few series premieres including House, Castle, and Heroes. I made a birthday card for Kelly to give her brother and it's just past midnight so I'm going to go to bed 'early' tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home