Mellykat's Blog!

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Thing One and Thing Two

Wow what a full full day.

My headache started creeping back this morning and by this afternoon I took some Tylenol. It didn't touch the headache. Oy. During my lunchbreak I ran around like a crazy woman trying to get stuff ready to have the family over for hotdogs and cake.

If I were a planner, (and if I hadn't had a headhache on and off for five days) I might have come up with something a little more organized and invited over all our friends too. I'm hoping to do something with them on the weekend.

After work I picked up the boys and brought them home. Chris had gotten home early and I took off right away to pick up the cake. I ordered a Nemo cake sans Nemo and friends, just for the undersea look of the icing. Carter had wanted a shark cake so I had found some various sharks and undersea creatures at the dollar stores to garnish the cake with. That turned out great and Carter was quite suitably impressed.

Mom and Dad and all the aunts and uncles came for hotdogs supplied by Dad and the cake, which for some reason I haven't had any of yet. Perhaps a midnight snack is in my future. I guess I was kinda busy. Cooper really got into the cake - that was pretty hilarious. Carter got some really cool toys and some clothes, and he wanted to go outside to try out his new rocket launcher from Uncle Bob and Auntie Josie and kick-rocket from Kelly. Way cool toys. Chris ended up playing outside with Carter and Kelly helped wrangle Cooper while I multi-tasked visiting with everyone and serving cake. Everyone watched American Idol while I bustled around. I was starting to feel much better, I'm suspecting the relief came from the caffeine in the Coke I drank. I was caffeine free the past couple days and I'm quite certain that was part of the reason for my headache.

The party started to disband and everyone went in separate directions. I had made a whole sink full of water balloons earlier anticipating Cindy coming with the kids but they had baseball that ran late so they didn't make it. I brought out the water balloons and Carter had a blast. He and Chris and Chris's friend Nick were whipping them all over the place and Carter was ecstatic. Stuff like that makes me feel like a cool Mom. Then I gave one to Cooper while he was swinging. He had been holding a baseball but was quite thrilled to have the fun squishy water balloon. Until he bit it. Oops. Not such a cool Mom. Duh.

Kelly managed to con the kids into coming in the house by telling them they could play with their water balloons in the tub. Yay! That worked perfectly. And they were filthy. They were dirty before I even picked them up from the sitter since they played outside today, but by this time they were REALLY dirty! They had a hoot in the tub with the water balloons. Kelly left and I had to con the boys out of the tub. I swear those kids would stay in there long after the water cooled off if I let them!

I actually got to chat with Angie briefly, amid chasing my kids all over the house. They just went to sleep just before eleven. Must have been all jacked up on cake and pop. But hey, it was a special day. And because my headache is gone, I can say it was worth it for them to stay up 'cause they had a ton of fun. I picked up some glow in the dark stars to put on Carter & Cooper's ceiling above the tent. There's nothing like gazing up through the top of your tent at the stars!

Before Angie signed off she wished me luck getting Thing One and Thing Two to bed, which struck me as quite hilarious and accurate considering the kids were still up and in non-stop action mode, so I thought it so appropriate a title for this post. Finally they're both asleep so I think I'm headed that way too.


Blogger Helen Hancock said...

She calls them Thing One and Thing Two! LMAO
.......these things will not bite you. They want to have fun. Then out of the box came Thing Two and Thing One. And they ran to us fast. They said, "how do you do" would you like to shake hands with Thing one and Thing Two?"

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 1:51:00 a.m.  
Blogger Angie said...

Hee hee. . . So glad to see Dr. Seuss has made an impact all over the world.

Again, Happy Birthday, Carter!!!!!

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 8:48:00 a.m.  
Blogger Ernie said...

Sounds like you had a great day. I too believe that I was caffeine addicted. I started getting headaches and realized it was mornings when I'd miss my coffee. Have since weaned myself. Still drink coffee, but not to the extent I did. My brother has a problem with more serious addictions, and I just don't like the thought of anything having control over me like that.

Theresa dressed the boys up as Thing One and Thing Two a couple years ago, and she dressed up as the Cat in the Hat! You'll have to badger her for photos! (If she doesn't give in, I will. LOL)

Sunday, May 13, 2007 12:19:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home