Mellykat's Blog!

Monday, June 18, 2007

Chock-Full of Shellfish

I think in my rage-induced haze the other day, I forgot to mention a major bright spot - our friends asked if we eat lobster. Affirmative! He asked how many; I figured two would feed Chris and me and both boys easily. I had made a few bookmarks for their son's birthday loot bags and my sister picked up the lobsters and delivered them to us and picked up the bookmarks and delivered them for me. And oh my GOD they gave us FOUR lobsters.

The lobsters were flown in from Nova Scotia the day before and had been cooked in seawater. All I had to do was heat them in boiling water and they'd be good to go. And they so were. Chris went fishing in the afternoon AFTER he came home from work and AFTER he spread all the black dirt. Now we just need some grass seed and it should be back to normal fairly quickly.

Ain't it purty?

Much to my dismay, Chris didn't get back from fishing until around eight-thirty. I was dying for these lobsters. I had already fed the kids supper way earlier. But I waited. And it was worth the wait. But I had to run to the grocery store for garlic butter and some salad stuff. Though I'm sure I could have made a meal solely with the lobster.

Because I am a twit and sold my big stock pot in our last garage sale since I hardly used it, I had to heat the lobsters separately in pots of boiling water on the stove. That turned out alright so I had time to cook the vegetables and prepare the salads.

Carter seemed interested in the whole lobster procedure and seeing the whole critters in pots on the stove. But he wasn't too thrilled about eating them. Cooper had a bit. I gorged on them. But I didn't have any nut/lobster crackers so it was a real workout getting the shells cracked. I felt like a real beast whacking the shells with my meat tenderizer hammer. But it was goooooooood. We ate about 3.25 of the four lobsters and I put the rest in the fridge.

What a gorgeous feast!

The whole house smelled pretty fishy but I did not care. That rocked. Since we had such a late supper the boys went to sleep very shortly after. I worked on a couple projects and zonked on the couch.

Sunday morning I am sorry to say I didn't even attempt to go to church. And I totally forgot it was Father's Day. I didn't have cards for anyone. What a heel. Oh well. At least I got Chris the same thing he got me for Mother's Day. Which if it weren't for what the boys made me at the babysitter would have been absolutely nothing. ::Sigh::

For lunch I wanted to have a lobster roll with the leftovers. And lo and behold...somehow I had a recollection that I had a brand new nut/lobster cracker still in the package, in one of my cupboards. I easily located it and it even had four little metal picks in the package for prying at the shells. Oops. That would have come in handy for our lobsterfest. Oh well. It still was more convenient for opening the leftover lobster and making my sandwich. And it was goooooood.

The weather turned quite fierce in the evening. The torrential downpour was amazing. I sure wish I could send some of this rain to Angie. Crikey it poured. There were highways washed out and some of our pretty black dirt got washed out on the sloped part of the lawn. It's actually not too bad though. There was one particular crack of thunder that sounded pretty close. It really got Carter's attention! Cooper slept through the whole storm. Carter went to bed late but still slept through it once he finally turned in. I actually fell asleep with him on the floor in his room watching his movie. Chris woke me up around one o'clock and the storm was phenomenal. The lightning was far away, but there was a constant distant rumble of thunder. The lightning was so frequent it was like daylight at some points. I crawled into bed and went right to sleep.

This morning started out great. Chris made sure I was up before he left for work - this is the only thing that gets my butt in gear. I get him to drag me out of bed and start getting ready. It works. I need the help. The boys got up and I got them fed and dressed and out the door. I made it to work with ten minutes to spare. I think that's a record since I've been on this new schedule. Give or take a few minutes on the record time.

Mondays are always busy at the office, therefore the day FLIES by. Tina brought me a FVC, and Kelly called me and asked if I wanted a drive-by. So I had TWO French Vanilla Cappuccinos this morning. What a rockin' way to start the day. And Kelly asked if I wanted to go out for lunch. Rock on. We went to our favourite lunch spot and had a wonderful lunch. Then she stole my bill from me and bought me lunch. She said it was an anniversary present. Sweet! Chris and I haven't even celebrated our anniversary together yet, but Kelly and I have! Hilarious.

The afternoon breezed by just as quickly as the morning, and at coffee break we had a cake party for one of the gals who had a birthday today. Awesome. Carrot cake with cream cheese icing. Soon after it was four o'clock already and I was done. By the time I picked up the boys, it was BEAUTIFUL outside! I was hoping we'd get to play outside after supper.

Chris came home from work and mowed the back yard, while Carter played outside and I took Cooper to the grocery store to get the fixin's for making taco salad. (Great idea, Kelly!) I bought those cool taco bowls (had to get the little ones since they were out of the big ones) and some grated cheese, tomatoes, green onions and lettuce. By the time Cooper and I got home it started pouring rain. Fortunately Chris was finished with the back yard at least. We all came in the house and I made these darling little taco salad bowls.

Now that was a good way to keep the boys at the supper table! Cooper really dug into his and tasted a few of the veggies and ate almost all the ground beef. Carter needed some major encouraging and even some airplane/train help but I'll do what it takes to get these kids to eat!

We had a fun evening. Cooper pooped on the potty again (yes, this falls under the category of fun, because it's way funner to dump out a potty than to use 398475394 wipes on his butt). The boys had a very bubbly bath and even sort of swam in there together. Pretty funny stuff. Chris took turns wrestling with the boys and I took this ever-so-hilarious video of Cooper laughing his guts out when Chris was tickling him. What an awesome sound. The video might not show up for awhile; I have to get it loaded up on YouTube and I'm guessing it's a ginormous file. I have a couple more projects to work on and I'm off to bed.

Okay, the video? Is huge. Don't click it unless you have the time and high-speed internet or Cooper will be a teenager by the time you see it!


Blogger *~*Jill*~* said...

My Carter found Cooper to be HIGHLY amusing for early morning entertainment! (hee)
Thanks for sharin', Melly *S*

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 7:01:00 a.m.  
Blogger Angie said...

I'll have to watch Cooper on the laptop - still no speakers attached to the big computer.

We got a little rain, but nothing to speak of. Sigh.


Tuesday, June 19, 2007 1:30:00 p.m.  
Blogger Helen Hancock said...

I am really enjoying the blog with the added photos of late Melly...nice one! You forgot Father's Day - bad girl! Cooper is poopin'! PLEASE! Can he come give Katie some lessons...definitely worth celebrating!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 3:56:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home