Mellykat's Blog!

Saturday, March 01, 2008

The First Dose is the Meanest

(Angie, only for you...pretend it's a song. I know you know what I'm thinkin'.)

Well, I left Cooper snoozing on the couch and Chris on the other couch and went to bed at about nine-thirty. In what seemed like five seconds later, (I think I might have slept twenty minutes) Chris woke me up to ask me to give Cooper some Tylenol since he was all warmed up again. I said he couldn't have another thing until I got that first dose of antibiotics in him.

Chris was all set to give him a cup of warm milk, so I went in with the syringe (and some paper towels). Oh and Chris bolted for the door so he wouldn't have to witness the ordeal. He refused to help force the meds.

This time, I held him tight, much like I have to to give him Tylenol, and kind of fish-hooked his lip with my finger. I put the syringe along the side of his cheek and squirted a little bit in there. He was some pissed off at me but he did swallow it, presumably since it was already that far back in his mouth. I squirted in a little more that he tried to spit out, and we lost a couple drops that way. I managed to get the rest in like the first squirt. Poor guy. I immediately gave him the warm milk. Now THAT was a big hit!

There was still the issue of the fever, so when he asked for more milk, I loaded up another syringe with Tylenol and went back. He was much more receptive (though apprehensive at first) to the Tylenol, and he took it like a champ. He had some more milk and cuddled me until he started to fall asleep again. He got squirmy and wanted to take a bath. So I let him have a nice warm bubble bath and managed to rinse all the sticky medicine from the first try out of his hair. I got him in his jammies and now he's tucked in bed.

I haven't gone back to bed yet; seems every time my head hits the pillow these days someone is coming after me for something or at the very least whining and crying and waking me up. ::Sigh:: I'm fully expecting Carter to get up for a couple hours since he went to sleep so early this evening. I just printed a couple sudoku puzzles so I'm going to try to go to bed.


Blogger 20Birds said...

man what is up with all these sick kids... i really hope this stuff is over for you soon

Sunday, March 02, 2008 6:03:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home