Mellykat's Blog!

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Spleen Spleen Go Away!

Not long after I blogged last night I got a call from Mom. She was headed up to the hospital in great pain. Mom is always in great pain, and handles it like she's made of steel (you would never know it if you saw her), but this was by far the worst to date. I met up with her and Dad at the hospital and waited for the doctor to see her. Thankfully for her, she phoned ahead to let them know what was up and the doctor read her chart in advance of her visit.

He had no big ideas for helping; he was ASSuming and presuming that with the condition she has that possibly there was some pressure happening in there due to the enlarged spleen. They kept her for observation and gave her some meds and planned on blood tests and ultrasound for the morning. I hung out for a couple hours and came home, hoping she'd get some rest.

I slept a few hours and got up to get ready for work. Before the boys woke up I went back up to the hospital to see if there was any progress yet. They had just drawn blood and she had to still wait for the ultrasound. She barely slept of course with all the hustle and bustle around her so she continued to try to get comfortable and get some rest. I went home and got the boys ready and took them to the sitter. I was pretty wiped out and came home for a bit again, since her wait was still going to be longer. I slept for awhile and got up and headed up there again. Cindy was there too this time and Dad had popped in a couple times. It was crowded in the little curtain area and there weren't enough chairs. Dad headed home for a shower and a coffee.

Cindy and I hung out for quite awhile and they finally took Mom for an ultrasound. Although, not all the right people knew she had gone for the ultrasound, so it was a long wait for someone to read the results. I decided I would go in to work for the afternoon, and have Cindy call me if anything else came up. Only a moment after I returned to work Cindy called and said that other than the spleen they didn't see anything else unusual and Cindy took her home, still quite uncomfortable, yet with some pain medication.

I was still tired but the afternoon was busy and went by quickly. After work I picked up the boys and came home. Chris hurt his back the other day and had spent the day at home again. Hopefully he'll be all mended tomorrow. Unfortunately due to Mom's condition, she wasn't able to go out to Bingo, but I still went along with Kelly and her friend Sabrina. Uh, no. We didn't win. There was a woman there who sat with us since she'd never gone before. She bought WAYYYY too many cards for a beginner, and Kelly spent much of her time helping. It was fun and funny, but sort of like extra work! Kelly should have gotten a prize just for all her extra effort! (So Mom you didn't miss anything... I almost wish I stayed home and went to bed early!)

I came in and all the boys were crashed on the couches. I scooped up Cooper and he snuggled right in and I put him to bed. Carter is beside me and I'm going to haul him away next, and go zonk out myself!

Mom, I hope you're feeling better; I'll call tomorrow to check up on you! Love you!

3 Comments:

Blogger 20Birds said...

your mom looks like the picture of health in the photos and she has that grandma magic thing going on... so i forget she has these things to deal with... anyway i am praying for her Melany... and for chris... and for bingo..... ooops am i allowed to do that? Seriously i am praying for your mom and Chris...

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 10:24:00 a.m.  
Blogger Amy Eileen said...

So sorry that your mom has to go through all of that! How horrible.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 11:58:00 a.m.  
Blogger Helen said...

Gosh...I hope Mummy UP and OVER will be UP and GOING again real soon!

Thursday, March 13, 2008 10:26:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home