Mellykat's Blog!

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

My Dust Had Dust on It!!!

Wow. I kicked ass Martha-Stewart-style today when I cleaned the house. I made the dustbunnies my bitches. haha. Okay that was a little extreme but I'm feeling such a hyuuuuuuuge sense of accomplishment at what I did today.

My Mom (my dear sweet wonderful helpful kind and generous Mom) came over this morning. She took both my boys for a walk to the park, and I cranked the tunes. I put on my running shoes and my rubber gloves and started fly-ladying all over my house.

Living Room: 1) Hauled out most of the toys. 2) Dusted the room top to bottom. 3) Vacuumed all the fallout. Vacuumed and vacuumed and vacuumed. Even the corners and edges and behind the couch. You should have seen what was behind there! 4) Hauled out all the papers and garbage and crap from the computer desk. That was the biggest task. 5) Dusted the TV, TV stand, took all the crap off the top of the TV stand, cleaned wall mirror and glass door on TV stand.6) Dusted off the birdhouse hanging up above the computer...


**DISCLAIMER**
Not EVERYTHING in my house was this dusty (or should I say furry). I do dust once in a while, though I don't kill myself over it if I miss a few things. This little birdie house hangs way up in the corner above the computer desk and I had to do some climbing to get it down and clean it. I got it from my coworkers at the office a couple years ago for secretaries' day and it's been hanging up there ever since.

Bedroom: Stripped the bed. Put on clean mattress cover and new sheet. Put on new comforter and new pillows in new pillow cases. Hung pictures on walls. Brought up coordinating dresser from basement. Washed inside of filthy windows. Spot-washed walls. It is SOOOOOOOOO pretty in there now. I sprayed some vanilla room freshener in there and locked the door so Carter couldn't get in there and mess it up! But I kept having to go back in there though I kept it locked most of the day! I guess I wanted to lock in the clean!

Dining Room: Moved table and all chairs out and swept and mopped twice. Dusted chair and table legs. Cleaned table top and put nice plate stand on it with a candle. Moved microwave cart (that isn't used as a microwave cart) to another location in kitchen. Spot-washed walls and cabinets.

During all this, Mom had come back and started helping me do laundry and she was still doing most of the kid-wrangling. OMG did she do laundry. What a woman. She used the clothesline and the dryer. It was a gorgeous day so the stuff outside was drying fairly quickly. She would bring in a load from the clothesline and fluff it a little in the dryer so the towels wouldn't feel like sandpaper. In the meantime she folded a virtual mountain of clothing, blankets, towels, etc. There isn't any peepee laundry anymore!

The Boys' Room: Piled buckets of clothes and blankets and toys in there. Do NOT go in there.

Bathroom: Scrubbed walls and floor and mopped. Still need to do a good cleaning of the tub and toilet again, but I wanted to wait until Chris got home from work and showered. I'll do that stuff in the morning.

Kitchen: Scrubbed stove top. Cleared junk off fridge top, and cleared off things that were magneted (new word?) all over it. Just kept a few pics and computer projects on there. Cleaned out disgusting microwave and put the glass turntable in the dishwasher. Swept floor and mopped it twice. Filled and ran dishwasher. Will shine the sink tomorrow morning. Didn't want to have to execute anyone for running water or putting a glass in it this evening. haha

Entryway: Chucked the mats outside for shaking and beating at a later time. Put all the extra shoes and boots in a box in the basement. Moved shelves out of the way and swept and mopped twice. Hung a pretty mirror with coat hooks on it above the shelves. Cleared off shelves and dusted and washed them and put them back. Put one pair of shoes for each of us on the shelves. That should last about a day. Shoes seem to multiply around here.

That's about all I can remember. Basically everything is cleaner than it has been in years. We've lived here for four years now and I haven't cleaned everything in one day ever in that time. Thanks to my Mom. Most of that could NOT have been done with two kids around. Maintenance, however, SHOULD be easy...let's see how long I can make this last!

I went grocery shopping at Safeway and Wal-Mart so I can feed my company. Tomorrow evening we'll all head out to Cedar Point for the pot-luck fish fry. Thursday I'll cook a nice dinner here and have my parents over too.

Now I realize I didn't blog yesterday. I don't remember much of yesterday except for the Wal-Mart run where I purchased all the nice new bedding stuff and cleaning supplies. On the way home I did a drive-by and brought Kelly a tea from Tim Horton's. I did a couple scrapbook pages for the opening this weekend. I'll finally get to post all my new stuff tomorrow!

So tomorrow I go for my blood test at the hospital for the unrelated bone marrow donor program. Kelly has an appointment at the same time so we're going to go for a walk there. Marsha and Ryan are scheduled to arrive sometime mid-afternoon. I'm so pumped. Can't wait. Especially since my house is now fit for human habitation!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh girlfriend you have inspired me to finish what I began last week... what is a pot luck fish fry?... someone else does the fish and you bring a side dish.. or you bring your own fish? I will want a full report on all the food!!!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 8:24:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Beth. . .this makes me want to clean my house in a big, bad way.

And, it makes me want to come do a "drive by" at your house, too.

hee hee! Talk to you after your company leaves. . . .

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 9:43:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are my idol! Congrats. Isn't it great to have new, fresh bed linens?! COngrats on the accomplishment.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 11:56:00 a.m.  
Blogger Cooksalot said...

heehee wanna come help me unpack when the guest leave? No wonder you were tired when I talked to you. I would be pooped. Like Beth and Angie I wanna know all about the fish fry.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 6:51:00 p.m.  
Blogger Helen said...

I am not a big duster myself - but there comes a time in every persons life when you just have to tackle that fluff!! Thanks for motivating! Best wishes, Helen

Thursday, August 31, 2006 11:22:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it took me awhile to comment here, but your food report was worthy of praise... thanks... now tell me what kind of hash brown casserole you made...

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 8:31:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home