Mellykat's Blog!

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Sorry Sesame Street Fans!

(Cooper's 2nd tooth made its first appearance at Thanksgiving dinner...right central incisor.)

I'm not kidding. That was the biggest turkey I've ever seen. That sucker was THIRTY pounds. There were 24 there for supper and we barely put a dent in it. I thought about this cartoon all day.

Cooper woke up in the morning and I managed to get him to go back to sleep around seven. I figured another half hour of sleep and I'd be ready to face the day. Oops. We all woke up at about five minutes to nine, so there was no church for me (again!).

Chris went out for coffee with his brother and brought me an FVC and a bagel that I shared with Carter. We hung out and relaxed until I had to get stuff ready to go to Mom & Dad's. I got it in my head that I wanted to make placecards for everyone's place settings. So I prepared a template and printed them all out and cut them out. I made little chipboard turkeys in Photoshop and cut them all out individually. I stuck the little turkeys on the tent cards with a foam pop dot. I am such a nerd. I wanted so badly to finish them I tried to recruit Chris to cut out the turkeys, but he opted to stick the pop dots on the turkeys while I finished cutting them out.

By then it was really time to get my rear in gear. Chris was a big help by bathing Cooper. First time in all his ten months! I prepared the perogies (five dozen) with fried onions and bacon. I toasted the almonds and noodles for the oriental salad and made the dressing. Chris got Carter ready and loaded up the Jeep and Cooper was asleep on the living room floor. I scooped him up along with the last of the luggage and we headed out.

When we got to Mom & Dad's, Mom was a little stressed that the humongous bird wasn't going to be cooked in time for supper. She started cooking it at ten o'clock in the morning! Turned out the cooking thermometer didn't work and everything was fine. The turkey was sooooooooooooo big, Mom used her hugest roasting pan and of course couldn't put the lid on it; she had to use foil wrap. I'm tellin' you, if I don't see Big Bird on Sesame Street next time, I'd believe we ate him for sure!

Everyone brought something. My aunts, Cindy and her family and Pete's family and their parents. There was of course the behemoth bird, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, oriental salad, tossed salad, perogies, buns, broccoli salad, ribs, meatballs, and then there was dessert. Two kinds of fudge, cookies, pies and a mile-high blueberry cheesecake. OMG it was goooooooooood. It was almost an hour after supper before I tackled dessert. Glad I didn't skip it.

We came home just before nine o'clock. Cooper was asleep in his car seat so I brought him in the house in it and let him sleep. Carter was tired too. He's been a little under the weather and was tired out from playing with all the kids.

It was a very cold, blustery day, but it was a great one. I'm so thankful for all my family and all that food on this Thanksgiving day.

7 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

OMG!!!!! That is so funn!!!!!!! LOL LOL LOL. Children will be scarred for life buy hey - all in a good cause!

Monday, October 09, 2006 12:40:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO.... that is too funny... shame on you... *grin*

Monday, October 09, 2006 2:54:00 a.m.  
Blogger Angie said...

Love seeing the cartoon - since I never could upload it last night.

What fun. Had I not just eaten lunch, you would have TOTALLY made me hungry from that post.

I'll find you later. . . be warned!

Monday, October 09, 2006 1:16:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the cartoon. Will have to remember that one. Glad you had a good day. Must have been some turkey though at 30 pounds. WOW!

Monday, October 09, 2006 5:22:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! I should have come a visiting. Oh wait no fancy passport. That was some meal sounds soo yummy. As for Big Bird I hope he's ok. (wink)

Monday, October 09, 2006 5:50:00 p.m.  
Blogger Helen said...

What a great day - we dont celebrate Thanksgiving here in the land of Oz. Sounds like a nice time to stop and reflect. You are definitely not a nerd and the table cards look ace! Dinner sounds yum oh - something for us to look forward to on our hot and sticky Christmas day while we sing "Dashing through the snow" - go figure!!

Monday, October 09, 2006 6:03:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha... last American Thanksgiving I decided we had to have little canoe placecards.. I cut out canoe side shapes from kraft paper, blanket stitch them together, find, type and print everyone's names and a different Bible verse for Thanksgiving for each of our 18 people, glue name on one side, Bible verse on the other side (oh I also did one each for Melinda nd Earl b/c they were not going to be with us... that is dorky, placecards for people not there) then ...wait it gets better, then I dip each of these canoes in parrafin (now they are water-tight) ... end result water-proof canoes that the kids tried to float in their soda glasses during dinner... was it worth it? oh yeah, the kids still talk about them

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 6:20:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home