Mellykat's Blog!

Sunday, March 04, 2007

The Bad With The Good

First of all, a BIG Happy 40th Birthday to BOB!!!

Oy. Thursday was a doozy.

It started out AWESOME. The supply order I did on Wednesday arrived, and with being the hyuuuuuge geek that I am, to me it was just like Christmas. I had a BLAST putting everything away and organizing everything in the new little shelf organizers I picked up. It looks like Martha Stewart was in our supply cupboard. heehee.

I went to a funeral in the afternoon for the mother of some near and dear friends to me. Back when Marsha came to visit at the end of August, the two of us went to visit JoAnn, the mom of the people we both worked for at the tourist camp we used to work at. JoAnn had suffered a stroke quite some time before our visit (before this visit I had last seen her in the hospital when she had her stroke)...so that visit with Marsha was the last time I saw her. I'm so glad we had that visit.

Seeing everyone again after such a long time, many memories came flooding back to me and I was overwhelmed. One of her daughters gave a lovely eulogy about their mom and made mention of everyone in their family and how great the connection was to each one.

After the processional, I had a brief moment with each one of them, giving them a long squeezy hug and telling them I'm so glad I got to be a part of her life. I'm tellin' ya, the lady was somethin' else.

I went back to work a big wad of snot and tears (to coin a phrase from my friend Christy) but I managed to get through the rest of the workday. It was better for me to keep busy at work than to sit somewhere by myself and focus on my sadness. I had no idea how hard it would hit me. I'm so glad I went.

So I was an emotional wastebasket by the time I picked up the boys. We stopped by Chris's shop on the way home. When we got home, Carter wanted to come out of the Jeep on Cooper's side. But the night before Chris had taken out Carter's car seat so I could take the Jeep to Bingo. He had moved all the extra snowpants and blankets etc. to the floor in front of Cooper's seat and I didn't want him stepping on everything. So when I tried to get him out his own side, all hell broke loose. He started a hissy fit that would rival any other hissy fit in history. I got him out of the Jeep then he wouldn't follow me to the house so I left him in the garage screaming and went to unlock the house.

I weighed my options...it was too much time to take Cooper in the house and either put him in the playpen or put up the baby gate. So I just unlocked the door and went back for him. I had to coax him toward the house and when we got to the door I hadn't opened it enough and had to let go of him and he took off on me again. I did not have the strength or will to deal with defiance. I got him again and we were going into the house when all of a sudden we all went down. I do not know if he slipped or tripped me, but I fell. Hard. I thought I fell on both of them. All I could imagine was landing on Cooper's head on the steps. OMG the scariest thing EVER. I managed to get us all vertical again, terrified to look at the boys. Everything was fine, except Carter was still hissy.

We got inside and I looked over the boys and they didn't have a scratch on them. Thank GOD. But I was another story. I bumped my head (presumably on the steps inside), bruised my knee and elbow and rapped and skinned my knuckle. I'm telling you my guardian angel was really watching out for us and I somehow turned in such a way that the boys were okay. So anyway, that really SUCKED for me.

Chris came home and helped me get the boys settled in then he went back to work to work on his truck. Kelly stopped by to drop off some movies for us to borrow, and she did a fabulous drive-by. She checked if we were okay (had talked to her on the phone) and brought me a 4-pack of Mott's Clamato Cocktails. She also was on her way to Wal-Mart and picked up both kinds of milk for me (regular and soy) so I wouldn't' have to go out. Chris picked up takeout on the way home so that helped too.

On Thursday night we watched Earl then ditched ER and Chris watched "The Departed". Holy explicit language, Batman! I didn't really get into the story and didn't even stay up late enough to watch the ending. I chatted with Kelly a bit and then I went and camped out with Carter and slept like a log.

Friday morning was okay. I was a little stiff and sore from the fall, but not bad. The goose-egg on my head was still there and despite the pain from my bruised parts, I had no bruises to show for it. No sympathy bruising, but at least that means my blood must be doing its job properly. Everyone seemed to be cooperating and we all got ready with enough time to do our Third-Or-Fourth-So-Far-Weekly-Friday-Morning-Tim-Horton's-Run. I picked up an FVC and bagel for myself, and a bagel for the boys and an FVC for Carter and the babysitter and went to work. As a last minute plan, four of us girls from the office went for lunch. We had a lovely lunch and went back to work.

After work and after Chris came home, I took off for the grocery store on a quest for steak for supper. Do you think I could find beef tenderloin at any of THREE grocery stores that are at almost the farthest proximities they could possibly be in this city? NO. I settled for some lovely rib-eye steaks. I'm not a steak-snob by any means but once in awhile I love to go get the really good stuff. It's our favourite!

I came home and sautéed some sliced mushrooms in butter, steamed some asparagus, made some hollandaise sauce (from a package even though I have a recipe somewhere I'm too lazy to try), prepared the steaks with an awesome spice rub (no time to marinate!) and I sent Chris out into the cold to barbecue the steaks. It was a very quick supper preparation-wise. Shopping took way longer than preparing and eating combined.

Carter actually ate a bunch of asparagus. Cooper threw most of his supper on the floor. This is a fun new trick he loves to do. Carter won the kids' prize for eating supper. That never happens. By the time all this happened, it was getting late and I must have called it a night early again, since I don't remember even watching anything on TV.

Saturday morning Chris went to work as usual and the boys and I got up as usual. All was well and they even took a late-morning nap. Chris came home and gathered up his fishing stuff. He took Carter out to my parents' house to go fishing with one of his buddies from work. I got a little tiny nap in while Cooper was still sleeping. We had a super sudsy bath and had macaroni and cheese for supper since Chris and Carter were still gone.

Another early evening for me; I couldn't even stay up for MAD TV. And it starts at ten. I was hoping to get up for church in the morning, so I got an early start to my sleeping.

So that brings me to this morning. I had washed my hair yesterday, well, with a lot of help from Cooper since he splashes like a tidal wave. But I hadn't dried my hair or styled it in any way; just put it in a pony tail while it was still damp. Fortunately I woke up with time to shower, wash my hair, blow it dry, iron it, put on my face and get dressed. I really wanted to take Carter on a date since we had a rough couple days, so I conned him into thinking we were going to Wal-Mart. He didn't seem to mind that I tricked him into going to church so that was cool. My Mom was there, and Auntie Lurdes and Uncle Cliff. He was a little hyper and fidgety and a little noisy and "yelly" at times, but not overly disturbing. We survived the hour. Next stop was going out with the family for breakfast.

Hell broke loose again when I tried to give him a booster seat. He didn't want it. He didn't want anything after that. He launched into the hugest screaming fit. I really felt like the best candidate for one of those Super Nanny 911 shows. Fortunately we hadn't ordered yet, and I attempted to get his jacket on and get the heck out of there. I calmly picked him up, kicking and screaming and took him to the Jeep, half wrapped in his jacket. I put him in his car seat, though he was stiffened out like a board. I got his seatbelt on and he gave me the hugest smack in the face. It took a lot of inner soul searching not to give him one back, and I just closed the door and started to drive home. Carter started apologizing and saying he wanted a hug. Does he know how to work me or what!!!

I called Chris on the way home and told him to come out and get Carter. He did, though it took a few minutes. Unfortunately I had awakened Chris and Cooper when I phoned, so I scooped up Cooper and took him in my room to try to get him sleeping again while Chris dealt with squirrely-Carter.

I never got any sleep since Cooper was so squirmy, but I got some quiet time anyway. Carter was still apologetic to me but he was still being a little rebel all day. We got ready and went to Cindy's for the birthday supper. She made awesome spaghetti with awesome sauce with moose sausage. Chocolate covered strawberries for dessert along with a great hunting-theme cake. I'm still stuffed. Carter was a bit rambunctious with the other kids and I gave him a couple time-outs making him sit with me. He complied more quickly each time. I've found that yelling doesn't work as well as calm and silence. We'll see how the next few days go.

When we came home I missed the first few minutes of Desperate Housewives. I chatted with Angie for awhile as I worked on some cool new elements that will match Christy's latest kit coming out later this week. Now I'm watching Desperate Housewives and catching up on the few parts I missed. Then I'm off to bed so I can be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed to face the new week ahead.

5 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

Sounds like you went to church to try and overcome the bad things? Such a bummer after having that day where everything went so right! Take care

Sunday, March 04, 2007 1:45:00 p.m.  
Blogger Angie said...

I'm just hoping that I'm not one of the things that sucked each day. . . like my being MIA (again).

But, I'm getting family/home/scrapbooking stuff done, so you can't be *that* mad at me, right???

Sunday, March 04, 2007 6:05:00 p.m.  
Blogger Angie said...

Wow, having read the full version. . .you wore me out, girl!

You never mentioned the bonk on the head. . .maybe you forgot to mention it...? Amnesia, maybe?

Glad we got to talk some last night. Sorry I disappeared so quickly - my computer got wonky, so I turned it off and went to bed.

Ah, technology!

Monday, March 05, 2007 9:55:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good heavens - busy much? It makes me want to sleep forever.....
BTW - I usually read your blog on Bloglines, so I hadn't seen your updated "look". Love it - very pretty!

Monday, March 05, 2007 11:10:00 a.m.  
Blogger Helen said...

I am with Angie...wow! Your poor thing...Carter is really testing the waters. Hang in there Melly....this too shall pass! Take a deep breath and count to ten ;)

Monday, March 05, 2007 9:00:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home