Mellykat's Blog!

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

I'm Getting So Brave

Ahhhhhhhh. Back to work. Away from the madness that is my household. I adore my boys but it's getting harder to wrangle them. It's an easier job to work full-time away from home than try keeping up with those two!

That was a super-extra-long weekend and it was a good one. Yesterday I took pork tenderloin out of the freezer. There were two in the package so it was going to mean a lot of leftovers. I had picked up a few pounds of asparagus on the weekend too, so I called my Mom to check up on her, and invited her and Dad over for supper. That meant I had to hustle my buns and my boys home and try to make things half-assed presentable and get supper on the go.

So once I got home I decided what to do with the pork. I cut one of the tenderloins into medallions for seasoning and pan-frying. The other was my experiment...a guinea "pig" so to speak. I rubbed it with the Victorian Epicure beef and steak rub, coating it all over with those yummy spices. I cooked a package of Stovetop Stuffing and sliced the loin lengthwise and stuffed it. I wrapped it in tinfoil and chucked it on the barbecue. After Chris came home and showered I got him to flip it every ten minutes while I was doing everything else including chasing kids. I made long grain & wild rice with mushrooms too, and the requisite Hollandaise sauce for the asparagus. I could ALMOST eat liver if you coated it with Hollandaise. Well, maybe not but I'd probably lick all the sauce off before I chucked the liver in the nearest dumpster.

Anyway, Mom and Dad arrived just in time for everything to be ready. So the menu consisted of two kinds of pork tenderloin, long grain and wild rice with mushrooms, asparagus and hollandaise sauce, and stuffing. There was still a ton of leftovers but everyone enjoyed the meal. I was very proud of myself for winging it and attempting something new. I'm usually too chicken to experiment and just stick to the things I know we like best. But lately I've been whipping up some tasty concoctions. Yum.

Mom and Dad left after a brief visit to go see the movie "Wild Hogs". Mom told me today that even she thought it was funny. I watched "Idol" and for the first time Chris and I both watched "House". Well, actually I watched it; Chris fell asleep about a quarter of the way through. I stayed up way past bedtime working on a hundred baby announcements for a girlfriend of mine and chatting with Angie in the process. Just when I think I'm staying up really late, I think of Angie 'cause she's an hour ahead of me in her time zone.

Today was good...before I knew it, it was noon. A very quick, busy morning. I came home at lunch and started working on the puter but decided to have a quick little catnap. I might have actually slept for about fifteen minutes. I made a quick peanut butter sandwich and headed back to work. The afternoon cruised by too, and next thing I knew I was picking up the boys and coming home to get ready for Bingo. Kelly picked me up then we picked up Auntie Josie and Auntie Lurdes and my Dad brought Mom to meet us at the highway on the way to Bingo. Kelly won the very first game - it was a hundred dollar pot but there was another winner and we always split our winnings. So it was nice to get a bit of a 'rebate'. Mom won a hundred dollar pot too but hers was split with two other winners so at least she did a little better than breaking even. As usual, it's an absolute hoot with my Mom and my aunts and Kelly.

I came home and everyone was sleeping. Cooper got up briefly awhile ago but I gave him a cuddly hug and he went right back to sleep. I chatted with Angie 'til she almost dropped. She created a beautiful keepsake tonight - an amazing scrapbook page of her son - you should go visit her blog to see it. It's nearly one in the morning so I've got to finish up here and get some shut-eye.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well then spill girl

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 3:44:00 p.m.  
Blogger Helen said...

You really know how to reel us in with your tag lines......

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 5:11:00 p.m.  
Blogger Angie said...

The mind just reels with so many possibilities. . .

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 7:41:00 p.m.  
Blogger Angie said...

Thanks for linking me in your blog! I love the new header. . . TOTALLY love it!

Thursday, April 12, 2007 12:14:00 p.m.  
Blogger Helen said...

Aaahhh Melly....what can I say about you .... you adorable "up and over"???? What would I do without my daily dose of a menu selection and cooking class via the Groves household. Love it! I think your new header is just precious....you are such a spunk and your boys so sweetly in the b/g. And I am with you on the "time out for Mum"....wish I could have some.....take care my friend :)

Thursday, April 12, 2007 4:03:00 p.m.  
Blogger Angie said...

uuuuuuuuupdaaaaaaaaaate
meeeeeeeeeeeeee

Saturday, April 14, 2007 10:43:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home