Mellykat's Blog!

Friday, January 25, 2008

No Way...Thursday?

Monday morning I managed to squeeze in a shower and do my hair. Kelly and I went out for lunch and brought Carter to school. When I got back to the office after lunch, there was a flower delivery for me, with a little card that said "To Help Get You Through The Day". Signed, Mrs. Depp. (That's Kelly). How sweet. I also got a sweet card from Donna, offering her condolences for Kendra's passing. I felt very blessed.

Monday night Mom and I went to Bingo. No, we didn't win. But we enjoyed the 60-ish-mile drive there and back in the frostiest weather, nonetheless. The rest of the week is a bit of a blur. I've been too tired and a bit lazy and sad to catch up on my blog, though I have taken a couple pictures. I'll get those pictures posted shortly to see where I left off. And I took a cute picture of my little monkey Carter eating a banana today.

Last night I was ready for bed by eight. Carter was asleep but Cooper was still going strong. I tried to cuddle him with me in my bed to get him to sleep, and distracted him with a couple glow bracelets. Just when I thought I had him down for the count, he sat up and started to cry. Before I could even ascertain what his problem might be, he BARFED ALL OVER MY BED. I'm not sure how he did it, but he managed to hit all four of our pillows, my duvet cover and sheet, along with his blanket. Oh yeah...and my pajamas. I hollered for Chris to help, since I was somewhat paralyzed holding Cooper and trying to catch the barf, and couldn't even reach for the lightswitch. Chris grabbed Cooper and on the way to the bathroom he barfed a bit more. On the carpet in the hallway.

We assessed the damage and I quickly stripped everything off the bed. Luckily nothing had seeped through to the pillows or mattress or duvet cover yet, so part of the crisis was averted. I threw everything in the washing machine and had a bath with Cooper. He was fine afterward and sipped a bit of juice before I got him settled for bed (in HIS bed!)

I crashed (hard) and slept soundly until Cooper summoned me at about four-thirty. It seemed as though he was hungry, having puked his guts out, so I made him a little sandwich but refused to give him any milk. We use soy milk but I'm starting to think he's lactose intolerant; I had given him a bit of pudding early in the evening and he munched on some mini-ritz crackers with the cheese in the middle. Now I'm keeping a really close eye on his intake!

This morning I was tired from being up for a couple hours in the night, and somehow slept through my alarm after pressing snooze a couple times. I think Cooper might have shut off my alarm clock. Fortunately my babysitter called just after seven-thirty to ask if I could drive her son to school again since it was so cold out and they were down to one vehicle due to an accident the night before.

I really hustled to get ready and managed to get out the door and get the kids to her house and her son to school. Diane was filling in today at the office, and I'd offered to pick her up as well. Amazingly, we still made it to work on time, with not a minute to spare. It was a VERY busy and fast-paced day, which made it disappear very quickly. Diane treated me to Chinese buffet for lunch with a couple of the other girls from the office. The afternoon zoomed by as quickly as the morning did.

After work we had a union meeting so I met up with Chris at home, dropped off the boys and went back to the office for the meeting. On the way home I picked up a cooked chicken, some of that instant Bistro rice and I came home to nuke the rice and some corn. Ta-daaaaaa. Dinner was served! The boys enjoyed it all and ate more than I expected them to.

After supper I started working on writing something for Kendra's funeral. Les called today to see if I could do some sort of eulogy. I've never done one before, but I gave it my best shot, telling a bit of a history of our friendship and attempting a little poem at the end. I spent much of the evening crying, and received hugs whenever I'd cry from Carter and Cooper. They were so sweet, even Cooper was saying, "Are you sad, Mommy?" and Carter, the little big man put his arm around me and told me everything was okay. Suh-weet. I ended up pleased with what I wrote, and each time I re-read it I had a big cry. Before I send it to Les, I'm going to read it over once more in the morning to make sure I didn't miss anything or that it doesn't sound dorky or something. No matter how it sounds, it really came from my heart.

Now it's really late but I wanted to get everything caught up again. Here's the little poem I wrote to Kendra at the end:

To Kendra:
Whenever you would talk with me, I could feel your caring, loving heart.
Whenever you would laugh with me, I could see your brilliant spirit shine in your eyes.
Whenever you would cry with me, I could see the hope glimmer in your tears.
Now that you are gone from me, I find some peace knowing you are free.
Love Melany

3 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

I left a word at BSD - but this is beautful, my friend!!!

Sorry about the barfing. Ick.

Friday, January 25, 2008 9:17:00 a.m.  
Blogger 20Birds said...

man o mano... you guys throw up alot, eh?
that was lovely what you wrote... and it is tough to write a eulogy, but also great... you get to amke sure the right things get said!
and the "arm of the h" comment cracked me up, between you and angie i keep on laughing...
and then to show you how hopeless
I am , this morning i spent a little bit of time on the X word... but nothing stuck and we arent going to go there, so when i saw
Xylophoniously... i went "dang, how did she find a word?", and i googled it... surprise surprise, google found no documents... it was only then that i saw what that word was... or rather the root of that word... be gentle with me Melany...

Friday, January 25, 2008 4:09:00 p.m.  
Blogger Angie said...

OH MY GRAVY!!! That is so very, very, very cool. Just saying "thank you" doesn't seem like enough.

I walked all the way through dashboard this afternoon, and couldn't figure out HOW to do a signature.

You are amazing.

It was you, right??? Nobody else has my "secret" information. : )

Friday, January 25, 2008 8:16:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home