Mellykat's Blog!

Thursday, June 26, 2008

School's Out For Summer!!!

Subtitle: A Special Post for The NDISB Ogre.

Okay, so it's been a busy almost week since I last blogged. Saturday night we did end up camping out in the back yard. We didn't head out until eight o'clock, but the kids were still pretty squirrelly. We attempted to watch a movie on the portable DVD player but oddly the sound cut out. So of course I had the laptop handy and we watched a movie on it. We managed to get the kids to sleep at a decent hour and they slept like a log through the whole night. It still poured rain a few times but it was a nice night.

Sunday night we rented a couple movies that we didn't end up fully watching. Semi-Pro with Will Ferrell (why do I keep renting these movies where he's a big weird ego freak? I do like Will Ferrell, but movies such as this and that Anchorman one leave something to be desired.) The other movie was Dan In Real Life with Steve Carell, which we just never got to, so I'm not too sure if I'd have liked it. I loathe Steve Carell in The Office (Angie, don't smack me) but I have liked the movies I've seen him in so far.

Monday night we attempted to barbecue. I found a great deal on some rib-eye steaks and smack-dab in the middle of grilling them, we ran out of propane. I did a quick run to the gas station to exchange the tank and we were back in barbecue-business in a flash. We had baked potatoes and pan-fried mushrooms and veggies. Yum.

Tuesday night was our last soccer night. Cindy came to watch Carter play and Carter actually did a bit of playing! I took quite a few pictures while we were there but this one was my favourite:

At the end of the practice and game, each team member received a medal. Carter was pretty excited. Saturday is actually the last day, but they gave out the medals early in case people couldn't make it for the last game. On the way home we went to rent the movie The Spiderwick Chronicles. With ogres and mystical creatures and beasts in it. Carter loved it. Cooper paid a bit of attention to it, and I was pleased that neither of the two boys was afraid of the creepy characters. Carter would probably love the Harry Potter series. I might get the books from Cindy and start reading it with him. It is so fun to read with Carter. His reading is coming along so well and he's really good at sounding out words that he isn't familiar with. Fun times!!!

Wednesday was Carter's last day of school. Because of the change in my lunch schedule there have been many times lately where I haven't been able to bring him, but I made doubly sure I could bring him on his last day! I had planned on getting a gift for Carter's teacher, likely a Tim Horton's gift card, but I decided on something more personal. On Sunday, I made myself one of those scrapbooking travel mugs, with the insert that you can personalize and slide inside the liner of the mug.


I was so excited about how it turned out that I made one for Carter's teacher using pictures from the PowerPoint slideshow she handed out. I had a great picture of her and Carter that I placed in the middle and I put pictures of the whole class on the rest of it, with some pretty graphics. I had also picked up for myself a cool binding machine at the clearance sale of one of our office supply stores. For five bucks I got the machine and a whole pile of the coiled edges that go with it. I was so excited about it I figured Carter's teacher would love one, given the cool scrapbooks she made for each student this year. She loved the mug and the machine. I sure hope we get her again when Cooper goes to school (gulp...next year!) I also made these cute cards for Carter to give to his classmates in case they wanted to get together for a playdate throughout the summer months:

Wednesday night I went to Bingo with Mom and Kelly. Ever-so-sadly, we didn't win but it had been awhile since we all went so it was good to get out. That, and my laptop bag was in the Jeep and I didn't dare leave it in there (based on past experience!) so I took it in with me and I discovered there was a full-strength wireless signal! I checked if Chris was online so I could say Hi but he must have still been outside playing with the boys. During intermission we went online to look at some pictures of Kelly's niece's babies. I'll try to remember to leave my laptop at home next time but it was neat to be connected to the world even out in the boonies!

Today was a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantastic day at work. My boss was coming to town and emailed me yesterday to ask if I was available today for my performance appraisal. Instantly I was all nervous thinking it would be something to dread. But he's very easy to talk to, and it went fantastically. I was thrilled that he had been asking several of my coworkers to give feedback about my work and my attitude and there was a pleasing consensus. He highlighted my computer skills and is planning on some specific server training for me so that they can use me more for my IT skills. Very exciting. I have been feeling tension around the office lately, but we discussed a few issues and again I was pleased to learn that my positive attitude has been noticed and that I've been recognized for contributing to a positive work atmosphere. Suh-weet.

After work, we all came home and Chris and I (without killing each other) put away the tent trailer. It's fairly easy as long as you do the steps in the right order. I'm officially excited we have it, and I look forward to doing some real camping this summer. We went to visit Uncle Cliff and Auntie Lurdes and while we were there we took a few pictures of my new ride...(this is the part for the Ogre! :)



My favourite part of the detailing is the Mellykat on the door trim. Oh and the 400+ horsepower this baby sports!




Editor's note: My Uncle's brother is in town, and this is his car. But I do feel it was a good fit and I wiped all the drool off it once I was done with it! ;) P.S. I love PhotoShop! heeheehee (Sorry E!)

4 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

I was gonna say. . . wow!

Hey, and if you ever need that grill lit, you know who to call, right???

Friday, June 27, 2008 3:02:00 p.m.  
Blogger Ernie said...

You had me seriously thinking that I was going to have to revisit the land up over (as opposed to the land down under. I know... lame :) )just so you could give me a ride!

Sunday, June 29, 2008 8:43:00 p.m.  
Blogger Donna Cooper said...

Hi!

My name is Donna. I'm a friend of Angie's. We go to the same church, and I'm on Worship Team. Anyway... been checking out her Blog Spotlights and found you.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope your day is filled with love and joy.

I absolutely love your idea for the end of the year cards. How very cool!!! I will remember that next year!

Come check out my blog when you get a chance.

www.hisgraceamazesme.blogspot.com

Blessings!!
Donna

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 8:05:00 a.m.  
Blogger Angie said...

Happy Birthday, my crazy friend. Mark took a photo tribute for you today -- when I get a chance, it will appear on my blog!

Love you so much!!

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 9:42:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home