Mellykat's Blog!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I'll Never Remember it All...

So here's a synopsis.

Sunday: I took both kids to church (brave girl!) and out for breakfast after with Mom and Dad.

Monday: Uncle Bob came over after I came home from work to look at our dryer. Apparently it's not supposed to take 2+ hours to dry a load of clothes! (Which we knew but hadn't arranged for him to come over until this week!) We need a part for it so he'll come back later in the week to fix it all up.

Tuesday: After work I came home and the cell phone cover I ordered for Kelly on eBay had arrived so she walked over to pick it up. (Soccer was cancelled due to all the rain we've been having; the fields are flooded.) The kids were begging to go to the park and it had warmed up a little so Kelly was all set to take off with the kids and take them to the park. I felt awful letting her do that alone so we walked the kids to the park while Chris TOILED over my flower bed alongside my driveway. He used the garden claw and uprooted all the GRASS (not just a few measly weeds) and hopefully kept all my flower bulbs and already-existing plants intact. If not, I'll go get some more because he did a fabulous job of making it look like a flower bed again!

The kids L.O.V.E.D. the park of course, but duh-me forgot my camera. Cooper was a climbing maniac once he got used to the equipment and Carter is quite the daredevil too. Kelly took a couple pictures with her camera on her phone. We talked them into coming home and Carter was bushed by the time we got here. He didn't last very long and zonked out soon after.

Today Kelly's son had a follow-up dental appointment in Winnipeg so I was the navigator once again. I'm her real-life GPS and have really learned my way around over the years. We went to the insurance impound lot to see if we could visit her vehicle. The people there were nice and directed us to a section of one of the MANY lots there of vehicles there for various reasons, many many many stolen ones. The guy suggested that if there were any items remaining in the vehicle that didn't belong to Kelly (or her son or me) that we should leave them in there and let them know so the police could fingerprint them (huh? you mean they didn't do that already?) He also warned us there could be items such as crack pipes and stuff in there. Ewwwwwwwwwww! We were horrified.

So we went to see it and it was REMARKABLY UNBELIEVABLY not smashed up. Thank God. They did, however, punch out the door lock to get in, and smashed the steering column to hot-wire it. We don't have a clue if it is still mechanically sound but once it gets sent in for repair I guess she'll find out.

They took EVERYTHING out of the vehicle. My bag of stuff was totally gone, anything electronic that they could haul out was gone. They emptied the glove box and console compartment. The back of the vehicle where the groceries were was empty except for her ice scraper. But on the floor of the back of the vehicle where most spare tires are kept there is a compartment they either missed or ignored and in it was the nice mag-lite flashlight I gave Kelly for Christmas and her first aid kit.

After a few glances under the passenger seat where I sat (I looked hoping to find some trace of my belongings) I found a little pewter angel that Kelly's sister had given her. We figure the angel kept the vehicle from being harmed more than it was! :)

Generally it was fairly cleaner than we expected, though the jerk(s?) smoked in the vehicle and flicked their ashes in the cupholders. There was only one thing that was in there that wasn't from our stuff; it was a plastic lid from presumably a container of nachos from a convenience store. We mentioned it to the dude at the gate in case the creeps left their cruddy fingerprints on it. Hope they catch the slimeballs.

Here are the pictures of the main damage done to the vehicle.



We went to Ben's appointment, had a lovely lunch at Red Lobster, purchased a few things at Costco and headed back home. The next step is for Kelly's insurance adjuster to contact her to arrange for repairs I think. Kelly's next trip to the city should hopefully be the trip to pick up her vehicle.

2 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

I will never eat nachos the same way again.

So glad your trip went well....

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 11:32:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry they didn't leave more of your stuff, but at least the damage wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Sunday, June 22, 2008 3:38:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home