Mellykat's Blog!

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Terrific Tuesday

Today was a good day for getting things done. I worked half a day today since I have some comp. time and we were having company for supper. I needed to do some heavy-duty cleaning and wanted to have everything prepared by the time I needed to pick up the kids. I got a call that they had to cancel due to a sick baby last night but I still took the time off since I already had booked it.

I had a quick lunch with Chris then took Carter to school. I went to the grocery store to grab a couple things for supper. I had tried to call Mom and Dad to invite them but I couldn't reach them. First person I saw in the grocery store? Dad! I gave the invitation in person and did my shopping. I came home and swept and mopped the kitchen and dining room, vacuumed the living room and kids' room. I tidied the kids room and now it actually looks like a bedroom again. It's pretty cute in there when it's clean with the cute new curtains my friend Kathy made for us.

I scrubbed and Windexed everything in the kitchen and bathroom. I dusted the living room, using the best duster I've ever used. My mittens. Yes, my winter mittens. They are made of that soft, pokey-looking yarn and I just put one on and my TV screen was perfectly dusted. I did the rest of the TV stand and cable box and stereo etc. I did the computer screens too. It still amazes me how quickly electronics gather dust. I put away all the toys and cleared off the junk-collecting kitchen table and counter. I set the table and emptied the sink and filled the dishwasher. I flew around the house like a fly lady for the rest of the afternoon until it was time to pick up the kids. I left early so I could do a mad dash to Wal-Mart for some shake'n'bake. And milk. And a few other things on my little list. I made it out of there in under forty dollars. Yay me.

I picked up the kids and came home. I got them to actually stop and wait for me to get their boots off on the mat so there would be no icky salty sandy snow all over my nice clean floor. It was so nice to walk on the floor of the landing without feeling sand under my feet or getting my socks soaked. I prepared supper and put the chicken in the oven. I started to cook potatoes so I could make twice-baked potatoes. Chris came home and showered and Mom and Dad arrived shortly after. I halved and scooped out the potatoes. I combined the scoopings from the potatoes, grated cheese, onion flakes, milk and butter and whipped them with the mixer. I scooped the mixture back into the potato shells and sprinkled them all with more grated cheese. I added them to the oven with the chicken and got the veggies ready.

Supper was yummy and everyone liked it, though my two little chickadees barely touched theirs as usual. We had a great visit, complete with Carter reading a couple stories to his Grandma. I love seeing and hearing him read. I need to make reading more routine than the computer for the kids. And me. After Mom and Dad left I got the boys in their jammies and into their room to watch a movie before bed. Carter zonked almost immediately but Cooper almost outlasted me. Just a couple more minutes and I'd have been out for sure. They're both snug in their beds. ::sigh:: Sweeeeeeeeeeeet.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home