Mellykat's Blog!

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Oh The People You Meet...In InternetLand

(Today's title inspired by someone mentioned below...)

Today was Chris's last day of work before his two-week vacation. He worked until noon. Chris's brother Jason is in town from Thunder Bay and came over to visit. He took Carter for a ride to Wal-Mart to buy a new pool. Carter played in the pool awhile and I took Cooper out for a quick dip too. Definitely not as cool as Kelly's pool - we need to go there again!

For lunch I made awesome chicken salad sandwiches with that ready-cooked chicken already cut into pieces. It's ridiculously priced but wow it's so handy. I bought some last night on sale just to try it and would definitely recommend it and I will use it again. (Ready-crisp bacon is the bomb too).

Chris and Jason took Carter out for a while and Cooper took a nap so I did too right after I finished this new layout. I got to sleep for almost an hour. When Chris and Carter came home they napped too. When they got up I barbecued some hotdogs for a late (as usual lately) supper.



Because Carter took such a late nap he is still going strong. Cooper is gone to bed and after I finish blogging, I'm crashing too.

So now for the real intent of today's blog...
I've been meaning to post a tribute to my new friends that I've met online since starting digital scrapbooking. First, if it weren't for Christy's inviting me to join her forum, I wouldn't be here. She even wrote about me in her blog which was so flattering and funny and fun. I am truly honoured as a relatively new digital scrapbooker to be on her creative team; she is an incredible designer and artist.

Because of Christy and Butternug Squash Designs, I have met an abundance of wonderful women:

First we have Angie, my dear sweet bright and funny friend with whom I chat many times a day. She is warm, welcoming and witty. And she's a long-time paper scrapper who has just "hopped over the digital fence" and is already digiscrapping like a pro. Really, I could go on and on about Angie, but she'd take up the whole darn blog with stories about her and her sweet family...Caroline, Edison and hubby Mark, who often reads over her shoulder and injects our chats with little jabs at this Canada girl...very funny!

The Butternug Squash Creative Team (aka The Squash Squad): Vicky (a source of many tips and tricks and with our two-hour time difference, some late night conversations for me!), Jeanette (Army Wife: Toughest Job in the Army with a kick-ass sense of humour and great eye for design), Jamie (with a beautiful style that I admire and always willing to share ideas and techniques), Lori, (the sweet, fun school teacher and mom to three boys and one girl fur-child!) and Marci (who has recently let us have a peek at her from behind the hand and is so cute and sweet) all welcomed me to the team and have been wonderful and supportive and encouraging, with tips and tricks and great ideas, beautiful work and fun banter they share on the forum.

And more recently on the Squash Squad: Audrey, Karen, Katherine, Kristy, and Lesley whom I am getting to know a little more each day through sharing on the creative team group. I pray for Katherine and her beautiful little daughter Corinne who was recently diagnosed with Leukemia, and Kristy (whom I have yet to really meet) who was just seriously re-injured in a car accident.

And then there's Beth...Beth posted a layout at BSD and I noticed she's from Thunder Bay, a mere 200 miles from me. All of my other digiscrappin' friends are from the U.S. (Beth is originally from Florida) but here she was, practically in my back yard! I posted a reply to her layout commenting that we were fellow Canadians and we found out through our messages and blog comments that her husband is from Eagle River (sort of a "suburb" of Dryden - that's a laugh), and that my Dad's aunt taught him in school and they know my peeps and I know some of their peeps, etc. etc! It's been very cool corresponding with her and having her know of all the places I mention in my blog, especially that she reads it! I was also honoured to be in Beth's blog one day...man I feel so darn cool. Beth rocks.

And most recently I've become acquainted with my most faraway friend...Helen. From "down-under" in Australia! She commented on a layout I posted at Scrapbook.com and she followed the link to my blog and left me a message. We've been emailing ever since, and now I'm her "up-over" friend. With a 15-hour time difference it's been a little tedious trying to find a time we're both awake to chat, but we've touched base on msn a couple times. Email seems to be the easiest way to communicate! I sure wish the time zone difference meant that with her being 'from the future' she could get me the winning lottery numbers!

The world of digital scrapbooking is vast and busy, but oh the people you meet...even the people you don't know are so friendly and encouraging leaving praise on posts if they catch their eye. Oh what fun it is...

And with that, I will close for today (but not before I post a couple pictures of the boys in the little pool). 'Twas another beautiful fun summer day that I end in sipping on my smoothie, (another thing inspired by Beth's blog)...which has big honkin' chunks of ice in it since I didn't want to wake Cooper by running the blender too long...I gotta getta magic bullet.

(Pictures were taken by Jason)






4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am sitting here trying to figure out how to spell... ewww, but that the good one... like wow....ohhhhh, lookie at me, another blog mention from my friend, Melany.... it is amazing isnt it... the times you have cheered me ... the way a layout can reach across miles and touch our hearts, remind us that the world is big and tiny... thanks melany...
and btw, did anyone notice how besides being poetic and deep, i was first today here to comment????

Sunday, July 16, 2006 12:17:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there. . .

You were right. . this will be the perfect supplement to my Sunday afternoon nap. Sweet dreams are easy when preceded by a blog entry like yours.

And yes, I did notice, Beth, that you were first (as usual!) to comment. It must be something with you Canadian bloggers--it leaves us "US" girls in the dust.

Melany, what can I say? You know that I value your friendship. . I still marvel every day that my day is not complete until I talk to this person I'VE NEVER MET in person.

I could say "how can this be?" but in this age of instant messages, cell phones, wireless internet cafes, and global positioning systems. . .it's not surprising at all.

Now, when my jetpak comes in - then I'll be "winging my way" to Dryden for a drive by. . .and then we'll really have some fun!

Sunday, July 16, 2006 12:36:00 p.m.  
Blogger Cooksalot said...

mmm. Smoothies! That sounds good right now. I love the friends we've become over the internet. I wish we lived closer. Then again we would never have gotten to know each other if it weren't for the internet. As it is I hate going to the post office and standing in line. There's even a line for the do it yourself machine.(sticking toung out) Makes me glad that we have the internet now.
Yes Beth I noticed your first.LOL!

Sunday, July 16, 2006 1:28:00 p.m.  
Blogger Helen said...

Well its quite a little forum right here on Melany's blogspot! Thanks for the mention - I agree with Angie, amazing connections with total strangers - but not strangers for long! From down under I can tell that Melany's bubbling personality is what attracts us all to drop in! I will try my best with the lottery thing for you Melany but hey! I reckon a change in seasons is more in line - those pool shots look great, no matter what size the pool! Better than the pouring rain and cold temperatures we have here presently. Never mind, my revenge will come at the end of the year. Rock on summer!

Best wishes to all here at the Melany community room - LOL

Sunday, July 16, 2006 6:42:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home