Mellykat's Blog!

Monday, March 23, 2009

Not Humerus at All

Today? SUCKED. It's been raining. And freezing. And raining some more. (Yeah, totally not grammatically proper but I'm trying to be emphatic here.) So this morning Chris phoned from work to warn me it was particularly icy on our doorstep. I always heed his warnings. I was running a little late and the kids were being slightly pesky. Correction...they were being AWFUL, mostly to each other. Once their jackets and stuff were on, I let them go outside. I gathered my stuff and put on my coat and shoes and headed out.

Chris wasn't kidding...the doorstep was a sheet of ice. I very cautiously walked out and could hear Cooper calling to me, saying ''Moooooooooooommmmmm, I peed in my gotchies!'' Okay, another delay, I thought. I walked around the corner of the garage to where Cooper was standing with totally wet pants. I needed to put my laptop, purse, Carter's backpack and my coffee cup in the Jeep before trekking in to deal with Cooper. I took ONE MORE STEP and it was my last. I was flat on my face. My elbow actually, and I was somewhat on my laptop. The blinding pain and shock of falling so quickly had me a little dazed. I kind of turned on my side and got up on all fours and eventually standing in the garage. I collected my things and Cooper and I maneuvered back in the house, all the while I was coming undone.

I got in the house and felt kind of woozy. At some point I started bawling. The pain was alarming. I kept moving my arm to reassure myself that it wasn't broken even though it felt like it. Sobbing, I was trying to call someone at work to say I'd be late. I reached Chris at worked and asked him to come home and help me. I sobbed and sobbed and tried to help Cooper change his clothes, but my arm was killing me (my right arm, of course). Chris understood my despair and urgency in my voice and came home quickly. He helped Cooper get redressed. Cooper was quite concerned for me and asked me a couple times if I was okay. How adorable. He also offered me his banana. I laughed a little.

I was still shaken and upset and had asked Chris to take the kids to the sitter so I could collect myself and go to work. He would have had to install a carseat in his truck, so I just got him to drive me to work and take the kids in the Jeep. I would come home for the Jeep later on. When I got to work everyone was so sweet and helpful and understanding. I still had little moments of tears. After about an hour, I started to notice some other aches and pains, presumably from tensing up in the fall. My elbow felt like there was a dagger dangling out of it. I couldn't get in to see a doctor at the clinic so I took some Tylenol and got through the morning, intending to get my elbow checked at the hospital later.

Being a typically busy Monday, the morning flew by. Kelly and I got together for lunch then she dropped me off at home to pick up the Jeep. The afternoon went by almost as quickly as the morning did. I picked up the boys. I came home and started to prepare supper. When Chris came home and showered, I let him take over supper preparation and headed up to the hospital. Surprisingly it didn't take overly long to get in to see the doctor. He moved my arm this way and that, without it hurting. He opted not to take an x-ray since it didn't hurt to move it, and he deemed it bruised, advising me to return if it gave me additional problems after a couple days. Dr. Uys (pronounced ice) advised me to use lots of uh...ICE and take Advil.

I came home and ate supper. I printed out some birthday invitations for a coworker and started working on a couple scrapbook pages. It's quarter to eleven and Cooper is wide awake. I'm ready to go to bed. It's just been a crappy, draining day. I'm already looking forward to the weekend!

3 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

Oh my word, Melany. I knew you'd said you'd fallen, but I had no idea how tough it was.

Hope today is better -- it's almost gotta be, right??

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 11:33:00 a.m.  
Blogger Helen said...

awww Melly now that is no fun. Hope the arm is okay but what I really really what to know is what the hell are "gotchies"! LMBO!!

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 1:30:00 a.m.  
Blogger 20Birds said...

ouch! we had the same slippery conditions here and i opted to stay indoors. I am so sorry for you but grateful it wasnt worse

Thursday, March 26, 2009 7:30:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home